I’m an artist from the Netherlands, currently living and working in Northern Norway.
I studied animation at Sint Joost Artacademy in Breda, the Netherlands. In 2008 I graduated with honors with my drawn animationfilm ‘Volgens de vogels (According to birds)’ which was selected for numerous international animationfilm-festivals and won several prizes worldwide.
After my graduation, I began to work as an animator, artist of fine art drawings and illustrator of childrens books. I have worked together with and illustrated books for Pieter Koolwijk, Griet op de Beeck, Paul Biegel, Tonke Dragt and Rindert Kromhout amongst others. In 2018 I published my first own picturebook ‘Ik neem je mee (Come with me)’. My second picturebook ‘De jongen en de walvis (The boy and the whale) was published in 2019 and has been translated in more than 10 different languages and my third picturebook ‘Waar is Grote Broer’ received a Bronzen Griffel in 2022.
My deep desire to live a quiet life closer to nature brought me to the north of Norway. In 2017 I moved up to Tromsø (350 km. above the arctic circle) together with my husband, who works as a marine biologist.
The wild untamed nature of the arctic is an endless source of inspiration for me. I love being outside in the nature to observe the silent world around me and spend many hours next to a fire with my sketchbook, watching the ocean and the birds, the silent mountains and the magical northern lights.
I like to work and experiment with different kinds of materials. Watercolors and graphite pencils are the materials I use the most in my work, but I also work with acrylics, ink, gouache, colored pencils and pastels. Most of my work is made entirely on paper.
-Awarded the Bronzen Griffel for picturebook ‘Waar is Grote Broer’, 2022
-Awarded the Bronzen Penseel for the illustrations in ‘Jij mag alles zijn’, written by Griet Op de Beeck, 2022
-Third place for the Libris most beautiful bookcoveraward for ‘Briefjes voor Pelle’ written by Marlies Slegers, 2021
– Penzberger Urmel Literatureprize for the illustrations in ‘Die Prinzessin mit den roten Haaren’ together with Dutch writer Paul Biegel, 2015– Artist in recidency Award, Tricky Women Animation Festival, Vienna, 2010
– Special PISAF Award, Puchon International Student Animation Festival, Korea, 2009
– Special Diploma for ‘the best animators work’, Beginning Student Film Festival, Russia, 2009
– Special Jury Mention, Anim’est International Festival of Animated Film, Romania, 2009
– Judges Award program 1, International Competition, Melbourne International Animation Festival (MIAF), Australia, 2009
– First prize, Animation Competition, Film Front Festival Gorinchem, 2009
– First prize, Animation Competition, Animationfestival Zwolle, 2008
– Special Jury Award, Kino Proba Animation Festival, Russia, 2008
– First prize, Student competition, Holland Animation Film Festival (HAFF), 2008
– Sint Joost penning (Award for the best graduation work of the artacademy), 2008
– Third prize, Invito Invites you, 200
-Libris most beautiful bookcoveraward for ‘Briefjes voor Pelle’ by Marlies Slegers, 2021
– Jules Groenen Prize, 2008
– Sint Joost Thesis Award, 2008
– Startersstipend Fund BKVB, the Netherlands, 2008
– Artist in Recidency, Vienna, 2010